<&BlogMetaData&>

Sunday, June 29, 2008

This I Believe

Last semester I took a College Writing English class. One of our assignments was to write a 100 word essay that began with I believe.... and submit it to NPR for an essay contest. I wrote mine on vacation....I believe everyone deserves a vacation. I pussed out on what I really wanted to write about. I was soo wanting to write about adoption. I feel that it is my duty to educate people on adoption. I hate that adoption, to some people, has a negative stigma. It is so not that way.

I don't blame people for being ignorant to adoption, because quite frankly, so was I. When Brad and I were given the awesome diagnosis of unexplained infertility, I wasn't too surprised. I always knew deep down that I would not be a mother the normal way. We did the majority of the infertility treatments that made me into an insane freak....they obviously didn't work. I still remember the morning I woke up and all the sudden my world was bright and sunny again. Just like that, I knew that we were to adopt to start our long awaited family. I have never felt such peace before in my life and I haven't looked back since. It wasn't a hard sale to Brad. I knew he wanted to adopt when we were dating. It was never an issue for him. When I finally told him I was ready, his exact words were "It's about time!"

So this is how I would start my essay: I believe that adoption is the way that my husband and I are to begin our family. And, I couldn't be more excited about it. I believe that just because you can get pregnant, doesn't make you a good mother. I believe that if you are in a situation where you know that you can't provide the life you would like for the child that you are carrying, there is another option for you besides abortion. It is the miracle of adoption.

That is just the beginning. I would write well over the limit of 100 words. People need to understand that these mothers who place their child for adoption, not give them up for adoption, are doing a very selfless act. They are choosing a better life for their child. A life where they are wanted, will be loved and well taken care of. A life where there is a mother and a father who will be able to care for them and love them. These birth moms are taking themselves out of the equation and thinking of what is best for their child. To me, that is love. There is nothing negative about it and nothing to be ashamed of.

Brad and I pray for our future birth mom every night. We pray that she will have the strength and the courage to make a very tough decision. We pray that she will be comforted and that she will have peace with the decision that she is faced with. We pray that we will know and she will know that she is our birth mom. We thank God for her every night, and we don't even know who she is yet.

17 Comments:

Blogger Jana Heller said...

this totally makes me emotional. i love you smalls. you couldn't be more right about everything.

5:56 PM  
Blogger heidi said...

Everything you wrote was beautiful. We will keep you in our prayers as well.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has any one heard what happened to Rosie O'Donnell's adoption agency that she funds? "Children of the World Adoption Agency", Verona New Jersey

9:17 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I don't know why this made me cry. Maybe because we hardly ever see the 'soft' side of Holly. We only read the crude, rude, nasty, "I'm so funny" Holly.

I blogged about you. Go read it. And I expect you to do a follow-up blog about me, telling everyone that I am the best sister that you have because I actually listen to your advice.

11:45 PM  
Blogger little miss bean said...

thanks for the early morning tears... well, you just won MY essay contest! love you! xoxo

7:02 AM  
Blogger Mayor of CrazyTown said...

You know better than most my feelings on this subject. All I have to say is "Holly for President!!!"

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap Smolly that made me bawl! I can't wait for you to be a Mommy! You should have done your essay on that..you would have definetly got a A+ for that one!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Bryan and Lyndsey said...

Hey Holly! I know, it is scary how much Ella looks like me. She is so cute I can't stand it. Hey How do I get in touch with Kelly? I left a post on her blog but I don't think she checks it much. Does she have an email? How about your mom?
Lyndsey

5:45 PM  
Blogger Rebekah's Mom said...

I'm all teary now. How did you get to be such an awesome person? I'm sure it was the fact that you had a total jerk big sister to toughen you up and show you how not to be/what not to do. I'm so proud. You motivate me to be better at life and you always make me smile. Love you!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Jen Kesler said...

I love you Holly!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

HOLLLY FLIPPIN PITTON, you did it. Every once in a while you get me and tonight, you did it. You always have it, I just don't always get to see it, you are amazing.
Tonight, I pray for your birth mom too.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Harper said...

You are my hero, Holly!

You pray (as do I) for your future child's birth mother, and I also pray for MY birth mother. I really want to meet her.

Wow, this whole adoption miracle really has a lot of questions with it! It's all exciting and wonderful, and your post really touched me.

Thanks for your encouragement. We are rooting for you and Brad!

1:53 PM  
Blogger cambridgeclan said...

Holly, I think you should still write your 100 word essay and turn it in. It is fun to hear the other side of Holly. You and Yannette inspire me.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:36 AM  
Blogger URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Hey Holly-man that sucks! It sucks that there are so many people out there that don't deserve to have kids and that there are so many people out there that are not able to get pregnant that would make great parents.
Hang in there! We will be praying for you!
Love ya-Brian

8:23 PM  
Blogger Brillig said...

Holly! I haven't been here in ages-- you probably don't remember me... But this post is gorgeous. So, so beautiful. What an amazing feeling it must have been to know what you were supposed to do!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Bryan and Lyndsey said...

hey, I just tagged you so you need to go check out my blog! You don't have to do it if you don't want to.
Lyndsey

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home