<&BlogMetaData&>

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The Worst/Best Week of My Life

Where do I begin? The last few weeks have been a serious whirlwind. It started on my little NeNee's 4th birthday....July 19th. After a fun time with them we headed on home so I could nap before going to work that night. At 5pm Brad got a call from his dad in Wyoming telling him that his step mom was killed in a motorcycle accident. Brad left that night (Sat.) for Wyoming. I got there on Wednesday, the day of her funeral, at 4am. At 9am that morning we got a call from our adoption caseworker letting us know that a birth mom wanted to meet us. Holy Crap!! What? Then, two days later my sister Mary was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Again....what?? Keep in mind this was all in one week. My life is anything BUT dramatic, simply cuz I don't deal well with dramatic. Then three life altering things all at once!!

Brad's dad is doing pretty well considering the circumstances. He is ecstatic about the prospect of being a first time grandfather to two little boys in one week. Brad's sister is due on August 20th and our birth mom is due on August 26th. He only wishes his wife was here to enjoy it with him. Brad is doing well with the death of his step mom, Vicki, as well. His dad and Vicki were married for 26 years and Brad was her favorite. Brad loved her very much so the funeral was pretty tough for him. When we talk about our baby now he gets bummed knowing that Vicki won't be here to enjoy him and to be grandma to him. His dad and Vicki went to Africa last year, so his dad printed out a bunch of pictures of Vicki holding lion cubs so we could put them in the nursery. She would so love that! I miss Vicki already. Wyoming wasn't the same without her there. Thanksgiving won't be the same without her. This is the one holiday his dad gets with all the kids and Vicki and I usually cook Thanksgiving dinner together. I don't think I'll be able to do it without her. Vicki had the most gorgeous smile ever and her laughter was contagious....this is what I'll miss the most.

We met our birth mom the day after we got home from Wyoming:) We are so very excited, overwhelmed and freaked out at the same time. Our birth mom is due on August 26th and she is having a boy....OUR son. Words simply cannot express the emotions that we are both feeling about this. Just for the record...that's three weeks away!! We have been running around trying to get as prepared as possible. We bought the stroller/ car seat combo thingy today. We now have diapers, bottles, formula and a few onesies and blankets to get us by for the first few days. My friends are throwing me a baby shower after the baby is here, so we have enough stuff until then. All of this is just so weird...and it hasn't quite sunk in yet. Brad is seriously giddy about the baby. He tells EVERYONE!! It is really cool for me to see him like this cuz he doesn't get openly excited about much. But, he is seriously GIDDY. We're talking perma grin giddy. I love it.

As for my little Meppy. Well, what can I say? My heart would be broken if it weren't for the baby on the way. Our baby is a big blessing right now for both of our families. We need this "light" at the end of the tunnel right now. If I could have cancer so my sister wouldn't, I would do it without hesitation. She's only 22 years old and I remember everything about her childhood. I remember when my parents told all of us my mom was pregnant and I remember the day she was born. I remember she was only a few weeks old when my family went to see "Rocky IV" at the theater. I remember the sleeper she wore her first Christmas. I remember all that crap. I know my sister will be fine, she's not gonna croak or anything. It just sucks she has to go through this. I wish I lived closer to her just so I could see with my own eyes that she was okay. Sometimes I think my mom sugar coats things so we don't get upset. She has a long 6 months ahead of her, but she'll be fine. It will suck, but she will be fine. I'm hoping her doctor will let her be around a newborn so I can be with her during one of her chemo treatments. She'll have the same hairdo as a newborn at least....bald. Just kidding Mary...you needed to laugh. And, for those of you who think I'm evil for the cancer joke...get over yourself...everyone needs a good laugh...laughter is the best medicine after all. And, that's how my family deals with things...we can't be serious, always gotta be cracking jokes.

As you can tell its been crazy in my world. Lots of different emotions. Like I said, I don't do drama...I seriously don't do well. But, I know that things will not be the same ever again in my world. So, I'm trying to wrap my ahead around that.....it'll take me a while to process it all.

12 Comments:

Blogger Mayor of CrazyTown said...

#1 and #3 totally suck, and I'm sorry. #2 makes me bawl with how freakin' happy I am for you. YOUR son is going to be born...and in three weeks. :) And he will be betrothed to Little Miss. And the IFC will have to change its name to the UN. HOLY CRAP HOLLY! For someone who doesn't do drama, you've got enough on your plate. I know everything is bittersweet right now, but YOU'RE GOING TO BE A MOMMY!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) And that little boy couldn't have two cooler parents.

9:04 AM  
Blogger sherrie said...

kelly told me about you guys being picked and in august! wow! that's like here already. congrats, that is too awesome for words. we'll have to get together sometime after the babies are here and celebrate;)

sorry about your MIL and about Mary. my heart goes out to your families.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Laurel said...

Hi Holly, this is Laurel, Susan Ellsworths sister. I don't know if you remember me but I sure do remember all of you. My gosh you girls & Jimmy have all grown up!!That is so sad about your husbands step mom, how tragic. How exciting for you to get a baby & very soon! I love reading stories like this & love the happy endings. I know you will be a great Mom.
My thoughts & prayers go out to Mary & your family. Hearing about this made me reflect back to Susans illness. I know that Mary will beat this, she is young & has a good attitude about it. Laughter is the best medicine, we joked about Susan losing her hair many times but.....they have very natural looking wigs! Susan loved her long one because she always wanted to have long hair. I hope your Mom & Dad are doing well, I really do miss them & especially your Dad & his pranks!! Congrats on you new baby boy & I will be looking forward to reading your blogs all about him! Take Care!
Laurel

12:34 PM  
Blogger Jen Kesler said...

Like I told Brad, I can only "imagine" the emotions that you guys are feeling right now and that doesn't even come close!

All this drama is a part of your fairy tale...and it's going to end with "and they lived happily ever after!" Until of course your "little" Bubba is two or three and learns to talk back...ooohhh, the joys of being a mommy and daddy:)! We love you guys and can't wait to see you with your little boy!

I don't know if Mary remembers us, but please tell her that we're thinking of her!

6:07 PM  
Blogger Harper said...

You are awesome, Holly, and we are so excited for you and Brad to be parents!

Also, Tyler and I were laughing hard at the comment you left on Mary's most recent post. :)

7:08 PM  
Blogger Rebekah's Mom said...

That was one crazy week! I love how you are able to write the things that I can't seem to put together. It must be your recent schooling:) I'm also super impressed with how you've handled all of this...plus a chemistry final. You run circles around me.
I am SOOOOOO excited for you and Brad. I've already been shopping.

7:28 PM  
Blogger little miss bean said...

i started your post this morning... but had to come back to it this evening. what a week for your families! as you know, we are excited beyond words that your little boy is on his way... this kid is so blessed to have the two of you for his parents. if he only knew how many prayers were said for him... he's very fortunate! mary has been in my constant thoughts and prayers. i envy your strength and humor through it all, my friend. love, love, LOVE you! and i look forward to your call when HE'S HERE!

9:17 PM  
Blogger Britney said...

Congrats on the new baby boy on the way! That's so exciting! You two will make great parents!

12:42 AM  
Blogger heidi said...

so exciting.
I got chills and tears all at the same time for what you are all going through. Please know my thoughts are with all of you. Congrats again...can't wait to see pictures of the little guy.

8:58 PM  
Blogger cambridgeclan said...

First off my heart goes out to you two and the heart ache you have been experiencing.

Second, Do you want to join the wrap club. Really it's not a club, but we all love to wrap our babies on to us. Congradulations.

Does this mean no more early morning classes?

11:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Happy Birthday, my friend!!!

Wow...I am so happy to hear that your baby boy is almost here!!! What a lucky boy to be blessed with such amazing, loving parents. Have you chosen a name for him? I can't wait to see lots of pictures once he is here!!!

I am sorry to hear about Brad's step-mother. What a tragedy. Is he holding up okay? What a mix of emotions you both must be feeling!

As for Mary...WOW...CANCER SUCKS!!! I have no doubt that, with the support of her wonderful family, she will find the strength to beat it! I will keep Mary and your entire family in my prayers!

Hang in there my friend!

xoxo

9:55 AM  
Blogger tlee said...

Hey Holly, congrats, I am crying right now I am sooo excited for you. What a wonderful blessing you are recieving. I smiled about your cancer joke, you have to. When your family goes through it, it is what gets you through it. We joked all the time with mom, if we didnt we would have just cried all the time. I love you very much and will keep you all in my prayers.
TARA

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home